Monday, February 25, 2013

Happy...

You've heard the saying "happy wife, happy life" well, what rhymes with husband? 

Traditionally, the day after Christmas, my family has a big breakfast. This year we met together and everyone contributed a little something which usually ends up being a huge amount of goodness! My cousin brought pancakes and homemade chocolate syrup. Mike fell in love!

I grew up eating this stuff! When I was little, I remember having the "day after" breakfast at my aunt's house which was right next door to my grandmother's house where we usually stayed. Between the blueberry syrup and chocolate syrup, we were set! 

Although my aunt passed away many years ago, the chocolate syrup lives on. I just never had the recipe for some reason. After the breakfast this year, Mike begged me to get the recipe from my cousin. On Saturday, we finally had a chance to try it out and boy was it just as delicious as I remember it always being. I think the recipe my cousin gave me was her mom's (my aunt that always made it).

In case your mouth is watering and you're wanting to try it too...

In a saucepan, mix:
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of cornstarch

Then add 2 1/2 - 3 cups of water. (It's important to add the water after you've added these first ingredients or they won't mix well! Lesson learned..)

Bring to a boil and then add a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of vanilla and simmer. Then add 1 tablespoon of butter. 

The syrup should be pretty thin. Serve over pancakes. 

No comments: